“Disease Detectives: An Introduction to Global Health” is an online short course ideal for students interested in health and global issues and who want to make a positive change in the world.
It will appeal to high school students who plan to have careers in health-related fields, as global health combines medicine, public health, international relations, economics, and other disciplines to save lives worldwide. In this four-week online self-paced course, we will pay particular attention to one critical aspect of global health: detecting, controlling and preventing outbreaks of infectious disease. Students will have the opportunity to participate in this course through a major U.S.-based university. While no course grades or credit will be given, a certificate of participation from USC will be available upon successful course completion.
“Disease Detectives: An Introduction to Global Health”
Taught in English, this course will combine a series of dynamic, self-paced online lectures and interactive exercises. One-hour live sessions are offered twice per week, allowing students to interact with the USC instructor, as well as students in other countries.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe major disease patterns and future trends around the world
- Recognize historical and current examples of disease outbreaks
- Identify strategies for the prevention and control of disease
- Examine the origins of different diseases and how diseases are studied in populations
- Identify the major stakeholders in global disease prevention and control
- Carry out the key steps in an infectious disease outbreak investigation
- Craft a public health communication message in order to inform the public about outbreaks
February 1-28, 2018
Cost & Registration
Early registration is discounted to $1,500 USD. Ends Dec. 1, 2017.
Regular registration is $1,900 USD. Ends Jan. 15, 2018.
A maximum of 30 students will be accepted. Register now to guarantee your space: email Dr. Mellissa Withers at firstname.lastname@example.org.